Friday, June 4, 2021

Thinking of a career change

I work as a Lead Network Engineer/Sys admin for a good sized school district with 100+ sites over a 70 mile radius, supporting about 150k users (teachers and students) with the help of 11 other network engineers under me. We are a 1:1 district, so all users have devices they take home, plus whatever BYOD device they want connect to the network. I also maintain two datacenters with the help of a vendor that provides managed services for the very difficult stuff and/or the stuff that me and my 11 staff don't have the manpower to maintain. Long story short, with the much heavier reliance on Networks during the pandemic, my job has become much, much more difficult, without any additional staff or pay. They've started requiring us to work evenings, weekends and other other requests not commonly found in a school district. They also do not allow work from home, except for weekend monitoring.

I've been doing this since college, I'm about 15 years into my career, so at this point, is it worth it? The school system has good benefits and a great pension, plus training opportunities, but the pay isn't so great. I'm making low 80's for salary. I'm told by others in the private sector the work and hours are lighter in the school district, but I'm having a hard time seeing it, especially now. They want us to start providing 12 hour a day, 6 days a week coverage, whilst simultaneously cutting vendor services by 20%, with no raise or additional staff. Has anyone here done the transition from public to private sector or vice versa? What do you recommend? What sort of pitfalls or issues? Should I stay put?



No comments:

Post a Comment