Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Switch recommendation for recording studio

(Before reading, please keep in mind that I am an idiot)

I work at a recording studio, and we're looking to upgrade our network setup.

Firstly, our digital audio is routed throughout the facility with Dante (audio-over-IP). We regularly have 60-100 channels flying over the network on any given day. The only other equipment on the same network are digital mixing desks (control data) and some PoE audio monitoring devices.

For the last 8 years, we've been using a Cisco SG200-26P switch with DHCP provided by an old D-Link consumer router (did I mention that I was an idiot?). To be honest, I can't believe it even worked for 8 years.

We also have a new Synology NAS with 2x10gbe ports for archiving recordings.

Ideal requirements for our new switch:

  • Should be able to provide DHCP on its own (so...L3?...I think)
  • Should have at least 24 ports, all with PoE (nothing major re: power requirements)
  • Should have a web interface - there is no way in hell I'm logging into a Juniper console. The last time I did that, I somehow took down the internet for 3 days
  • Our facility is wired with CAT6a, it'd be nice to have 10gbe unless it's prohibitively expensive and/or complicated

TLDR: need new switch. Reliable, DHCP, 24 ports, PoE, web interface, 10gbe maybe

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment