Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Static Route updates

I'm still pretty green, but I had a question about updating static routes. I haven't been able to find the documentation that supports it but I've read that a dead route won't show up in the routing table. I've tested this in packet tracer and I can see both live and dead route destinations in the routing table. My question pertains to updating an existing static route which is currently advertised.

We're changing the destination IP and of some of our current static routes. The old IP and new IP will never be active at the same time because we will be using the same interface, just changing the IP. If I leave my current static route and add another static route to a different IP (that doesn't exist yet) will it cause any problems with the current routing until we switch? Is there a better way to do this to reduce downtime for the static routes involved? We're not talking a lot, only 7 static routes total, but the less time down the better for me.

I already plan to go in and clean up the old routes after our changes are made.



No comments:

Post a Comment