Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Ideas for keeping networking equipment from overheating outdoors?

I have a site where I will soon have power and Internet connectivity, but no buildings for a few months. I would like to set up a switch/router/ipcams at the site, but I am afraid that if I just throw them in a cabinet outdoors they might overheat and be exposed to moisture (temp gets up to ~105F where I'm located in July/August). So I was wondering what would be involved in setting up an enclosure which is (a) weatherproof and (b) temperature-controlled.

Now don't laugh, but the first thing that occurred to me is a minifridge covered with a tarp (but exposed enough for the radiated heat to escape from the compressor).

It seems like this would be a common problem in industrial applications, but I suspect that existing solutions would be pricey for a guy like me who is just doing this for personal fun.

How is equipment usually protected in the field where moisture and temperature are a concern?

Edit:

This is my router: https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-12/

And this is my switch: https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/easy-smart-switch/tl-sg116e/

(The ipcams are designed to be outdoor, so I'm not worried about them)



No comments:

Post a Comment