Monday, June 28, 2021

Secure LAN To LAN gateway

Hello, please send me to the right place is I'm in the wrong one, I need some advice on reconfiguring an office network. We have a LAN, that is a labratory with many many different OS, microcontrollers, IOT devices, etc... I run a computer with DOS8, Win2000, XP, RHEL, Ubuntu, a few iPads, android devices and a lot of serial to IP gateway/device servers.

Our parent company has decided that we are a liability with so many old, unsupported and very unsecure devices.

I don't care if I have an connection to WAN from my lab network, but i need to transfer files (on the order of 10GB at a time) regularly to the main LAN on site (which is part of the company wide LAN and contains internet access and VPN to our other remote locations).

​

All my lab devices get time and lots of other updates from our on prem lab server as well as stream data from various test machines to a our central server. Our IT dept. claims there is no way this can be done. I feel like there must be a solution even if its not ideal. (and not hire an intern to run around our campus with an external hard drive)

​

Can anyone help me figure out what I should be searching for? Im out of my wheelhouse and I dont even know what i don't know. Security between the two LANs seems to be the penultimate requirement. I need to be able to transfer files from LAN to LAN but prevent all WAN from reaching the isolated LAN with old DOS machines etc. I hope that all makes sense, thanks for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment