Monday, June 28, 2021

Secure LAN To LAN gateway

Hello, please send me to the right place is I'm in the wrong one, I need some advice on reconfiguring an office network. We have a LAN, that is a labratory with many many different OS, microcontrollers, IOT devices, etc... I run a computer with DOS8, Win2000, XP, RHEL, Ubuntu, a few iPads, android devices and a lot of serial to IP gateway/device servers.

Our parent company has decided that we are a liability with so many old, unsupported and very unsecure devices.

I don't care if I have an connection to WAN from my lab network, but i need to transfer files (on the order of 10GB at a time) regularly to the main LAN on site (which is part of the company wide LAN and contains internet access and VPN to our other remote locations).

All my lab devices get time and lots of other updates from our on prem lab server as well as stream data from various test machines to a our central server. Our IT dept. claims there is no way this can be done. I feel like there must be a solution even if its not ideal. (and not hire an intern to run around our campus with an external hard drive)

Can anyone help me figure out what I should be searching for? Im out of my wheelhouse and I dont even know what i don't know. Security between the two LANs seems to be the penultimate requirement. I need to be able to transfer files from LAN to LAN but prevent all WAN from reaching the isolated LAN with old DOS machines etc. I hope that all makes sense, thanks for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment