Monday, June 28, 2021

1G connection possible on 500-600 Meters of OM1 Multi-mode using Single Mode SFP 1000Base-LX and Mode Conditioning patch?

TLDR: I am looking for people's experience with getting long distance runs on OM1 using Single Mode SFP's and mode conditioning patch cables.

________________________________________________

So I picked up and abandoned project that I thought would be quick and easy, I made a couple assumptions, and that didn't go well. (Assuming the last guy knew what he was doing)

So, now that I have reassessed the situation and realized my assumptions were wrong.

I am left with 3-4 runs of OM1 that are well past the 275 Meter length for 1G.

Equipment being used:

  1. Unifi USW-Aggregation https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-switching/products/unifi-switch-aggregation
  2. Unifi US-8-150w https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-switching/products/unifi-switch-8-150w

So now I am going down the google \ reddit rabbit hole of making something work, with no possibility of changing out the cable runs anytime soon.

My thoughts so far:

  1. 100Base-FX... (AFAIK My switches won't support 100Base-FX SFP's)
  2. Media convertors (I am trying to avoid)
  3. 1000Base-LX Single mode SFP's and Mode conditioning patch cables? (just found this today)

So I am looking for feedback \ thoughts \ experience.

*I know this isn't ideal



No comments:

Post a Comment