Thursday, June 10, 2021

Recovering Cisco switch passwords

I am working on trying to gain access to our network switches. Our local fiber provider (which is a very small company) provides connectivity to their fiber through some Cisco 2960-L switches that we purchased. Due to the agreement we have with them we do not get access to the management of the switch as the equipment is shared between several companies in the area. However the main person who manages this equipment is now on a ventilator in the hospital with COVID. The passwords that were left with a co-worker of his are not working. This co-worker reached out to me to see if we have the device password which I do not. (We do have other admin rights to some of their equipment) I was also given permission to attempt to access the devices to assist them. I do have a log file with the MD5 hashed enable password and the main 2 users. They are configured to use the type 5 passwords.

The enable and user password hash are 30 characters long. The salt appears to be 4 characters.

My understanding is that hashcat should be able to assist with processing this hash but so far I have had little luck with this yet.

Are there any recommendations for gaining access to these switches without losing the configs and with little/no downtime?

If this is something that should not be discussed I am open to chatting with someone through chat.



No comments:

Post a Comment