Thursday, June 3, 2021

Advice on replacing router and AP

Hi,

I need to replace a router and a range extender (with an AP) in my network and I need your advice and recommendations. My network currently looks like this.

Basically, the linksys router is acting up and frequently slows down the network and needs rebooting, whilst the extender is s***y and I want to replace it with a good AP for good outside WiFi access. I am also considering to place all the smart devices in a separate VLAN, so I would need a router that supports that.

Now, for the router side, I would like a more business-like equipment, but also something that doesn't cost thousands. I was considering an Ubiquiti Dream Machine pro or maybe a TP Link Omada. However, I am in doubt about Ubiqiti, given the way they handled the latest breach and the frequent issues with their updates breaking things. I am not totally excluding them, but if there are good alternatives to it, I would rather take them. I heard Ruckus and Fortinet are good as well, perhaps better alternatives.

Same thing for the AP side of things. I really like the Ubiquiti access points, but would prefer something else. I would also like something that supports PoE, as the place where I will keep it has limited power outlets.

It would be nice to have something SDN-oriented, like the Ubiquiti/Omada ecosystems, so they are "highly" configurable, provide statistics and so on.

So, what would you guys recommend for a good router and AP and also what would you recommend to change to my network setup?

Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment