Thursday, May 13, 2021

When or when NOT to set up a Nexus VPC

Hi! Question I've been pondering...I have a variety of switches ready for an upgrade, and we're all set on upgrading to a relatively consolidated Nexus model - basically 3 or 4 flavors of Nexus 9300s, depending on current copper/sfp load. For the most part, it's straightforward...either a stacked catalyst switch is getting replaced with a pair of vPC Nexuses, or I already have a Nexus vPC so I'm upgrading like for like. However, I have a handful that are not explicitly stacked, thereby relying on STP for redundancy, or in one case I have a pair of stand alone switches primarily dealing with routing. My question is for the latter...

This particular pair of nexuses is basically doing all layer 3, mostly single layer 3 ports except for a layer 3 2-port port-channel between the two as a pseudo stacking connection...my question is, do I gain *anything* from making these switches a vPC pair? or would that be complicating things...

Typically i'm used to "oh my nexus core has to route so..." and you have layer 2 vpcs everywhere, but you need to accommodate OSPF...so i'm trying to see if i'm under/overthinking this...

TLDR - if you're *only* doing layer 3 dynamic routing, is there a point, at all, to forming a vPC pair between 2 nexus 9k switches.



No comments:

Post a Comment