Thursday, May 13, 2021

Is Cisco VLAN preventing broadcast traffic?

Sorry for the novice question. I've got two Catalyst 9200Ls: Switch 1 has all VLANS and there's a trunk in between it and Switch 2. Both switches have ports with access to VLAN 10. When devices are connected to those ports, I can ping all of them from my PC and I can access the devices through a web browser.

My problem is that these devices are to be configured through a software tool. I run the tool on my PC and it's supposed to find any of the manufacturer's connected devices, but it doesn't. I found the following answer on the manufacturer's website:

If any stations are missing from the “Station List” under “Association Settings”, the broadcast used to find stations may be unable to reach them, which is common with managed networks. We recommend placing each station on the same an unmanaged PoE switch as the programming PC. This will allow the station search broadcast to easily find your stations while having the ability to redeploy the once programming is complete.

During the station search and program file upload steps, it may be required to disable any alternate network connections, including Wi-Fi and VPNs, for both processes to complete properly.

I'm sure I could easily go buy an unmanaged POE switch and go about my business, but I'd really like to know why this is happening and how to fix it to prevent this issue during future installs.



No comments:

Post a Comment