Monday, May 31, 2021

What could cause packet loss one-way

I'm relatively new to the field, and don't have much experience with enterprise equipment.

I'm a technician that works on RF equipment, so I don't have much experience with any sort of IP data structures, however there is some sort of communication issue between the Modem (which I set up) and our Level 3 switch (which I believe is Cisco, and was set up by the technicians in another department).

When we have the switch ping our modem, it reports a 10% packet loss, however when the modem pings the switch, they all go through fine. We've replaced Cat 6, SFP adapter, and plugged into a different SFP port on the switch. I'm sure the other shop has taken more troubleshooting steps, I just don't know what.

We haven't tried a different port on the Modem yet, as custom configuration is not particularly easy with it. We don't have any useful documentation on its CLI, it's GUI is confusing. All we know is that it runs some proprietary software in some Unix-like operating system (likely a Linux kernel). No one here knows anything about this equipment, so far I was the only person to get the modem-to-modem RF communication working. If anyone has used iDirect equipment, tips would be appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment