Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Network report for management - what do you do?

Hi guys,

I have a non-technical, but nonetheless network related question to which I can't seem to find conclusive answers from the almighty big G.

Do you do any reporting for management? If so, what kind of information / data do you include there?

We currently create a monthly report of the utilization of interfaces that are connected to WAN links - while I think this is an okay-ish starting point, I think there is not much value in having hourly min/max/avg values.

The problem is that the receivers of this report have no real idea about networking, so I can't just ask them what they want.

I was thinking that e.g. something like "time an interface had utilization higher than X%" would be a better metric to report than average utilization.

What are your thoughts? How do you solve the "I want a report but don't know what I want to see in it" - Problem? What are some metrics you would consider useful to provide a high-level overview of network capacity and health?



No comments:

Post a Comment