Monday, May 17, 2021

Hyper-V Configuration Ethernet/Virtual Switch/DHCP Problem

Ok I am configuring my first Hyper-V machine running on a Windows 2019 Standard host. Everything has gone pretty smoothly but I am having trouble getting my VMs access to the default gateway. I am running a DHCP server on one of my guest VMs and that server is handing out IP addresses to the other guest VMs I have running.

I have configured an External Virtual Switch in Hyper-V manager. The physical ethernet adapter that I have configured the virtual switch on is connected to my router on a port that is only handing out VLANs. I have my DHCP server configured with a static IP but I cannot ping my default gateway from my DHCP server or from any of my guest VMs.

I have been troubleshooting this for two days and finally found something odd about the properties of my ethernet adapter. It is my understanding when I configure a virtual switch through Hyper-V Manager, that Hyper-V will reconfigure the properties of my ethernet adapter and turn off all services except LLDP and Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch. My ethernet adapter has LLDP enabled by Hyper-V Extensible Switch Manager is disabled and I cannot enable it manually.

To test this further I have configured one of my router ports to hand out DHCP. When I connect another ethernet adapter to that router port and set up a virtual switch the ethernet adapter properties are set as expected: LLDP and Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch are enabled. I am also able to ping the default gateway with this configuration.

I am completely stumped. I have confirmed the dhcp relay settings are configured correctly for the VLANs in my router. I have checked and re-checked my DHCP server and scopes.

Please help.



No comments:

Post a Comment