Saturday, May 29, 2021

Can vpn routers work as dial-in VPN clients?

Good day all,

Full disclosure: I know nothing how network works and I don't know much about VPN either.

I have a problem.

I remotely connect to my workplace via VPN to access corporate infrastructure. I have no control over the VPN server. I heard it's Cisco ASA 3000 that was catered to Windows users. It supports split tunneling.

Native Windows 10 VPN client can connect to the VPN with no issues via L2TP/IPSec with a pre-shared key. But NetworkManager on Linux has troubles. I don't want to go deep into why since it's a bit off topic.

I have a VPN router. TP Link TL-R605 that has support for IPSec, L2TP and can encrypt with 3des-sha1-df2 which is exactly the necessary conditions for a successful connection.

Can VPN routers in general, and TP-Link TL-R605 specifically be used as a sort of hardware VPN clients? Sitting in the middle between my workstation and my modem?



No comments:

Post a Comment