Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Why are Versa SD-WANs virtually non-existent outside of the service provider realm?

I'm curious to know why Versa deployments seem to be, well, non-existent outside of the telecom/service provider realm. I rarely - if ever - see them mentioned here but supposedly Gartner considers them major player. Based on my research it seems to be the most full-featured out of all of the SD-WAN vendors (particularly surrounding security as well as core routing) and it's much cheaper than Silver Peak and Cisco. The biggest negative I can think of feature-wise is a lack of substantial WAN opt functionality, but from conversations with customers that doesn't seem to be important to many of them anyway.

I'm guessing that this has nothing to do with its code stability or performance. Is it due to management complexity? Support? I've had a chance to look at the controller GUI and, well, there is certainly a lot going on there... but I would assume that some environments would consider that to be an advantage. Or do you think it's purely due to poor marketing and sales strategies?



No comments:

Post a Comment