Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Looking for some validation...

I'm currently trying to help my workplace redesign their IT network. I have some background in this field so naturally I feel quite comfortable doing this. However, speaking with the hardware supplier is starting to make me doubt myself.

Please can someone help me reaffirm my plan isn't full of holes and I'm not suffering from ID10T!!

My first point of action is to split the network onto 2 L2 switches and I'm looking to breakup the network into VLANs as follows:

  1. 1 for workstations
  2. 1 for servers
  3. 1 for printers
  4. 1 for Guest WiFi
  5. 1 for management

I'll connect the 2 L2 switches via a trunk link and then connect both to a 2 LAN port firewall. This is the bit I'm most confused about. The hardware supplier is giving me a QNO Secure Router which has 4-5 WAN ports and 2 LAN ports. This is new to me as I'm more familiar with working on hardware with the opposite configs (1-2 WAN & 4-5 LAN). The QNO device is advertising as supporting port based VLAN. Since it's only got 2 LAN ports, my confusion is, will it still be able to handle the 5 VLANs I need or will have I to rethink the whole network.

FYI, the L2 switches I'm being supplied is Zyxel. These all have web based GUI for setting them up so I don't need to worry about knowing how to configure them (like Cisco and Juniper). The downside is, I'm not so familiar with them as I've only ever handled Cisco R&S hardware.

All comments are appreciated and a massive thank you for your time to read this far!!



No comments:

Post a Comment