Thursday, April 22, 2021

Was given my first solo project. Building out offices indifferent locations. What else do I need?

So, I've been working in tech for about 2.5 years and in my current role my manager has given me an opportunity to grow by allowing me to put together a project of everything we will need to hook up anywhere from 11-20 computers to the network in each office using fiber with conduit (as some fiber will be exposed and run over asphalt. There will be multiples of these offices spread out over the campus. I'm really wanting to impress (or at least not come off like I need to go find another career). So far, I have listed a need for 1-10Gbps backbone (haven't decided if we really need 10), I don't need the distance for single-mode fiber, so I think multi-mode would be okay, cross-connecting with LC connectors. I don't think I need a firewall since it's going to our existing network anyway. I'm considering using a 48 port switch per office. Do I need to include a patch panel per office? Some offices will have a closet for equipment storage, some won't. So, I know I will need a rack. This is my first project solo. I know I am probably missing a TON of stuff I'm just not thinking about since I've been up since 3am, but I welcome suggestions.



No comments:

Post a Comment