Thursday, April 1, 2021

Switching Cisco 4500X fan direction

I have a Cisco 4500X in production that's using front-to-back fans and power supplies, when it really should be back-to-front. I have a set of back-to-front fans from another 4500X that really should be front-to-back. Since the chassis only cares that all the fans and PSUs have the same orientation, the swap should work fine.

My question is, can I swap the fans and PSUs one at a time without taking the switch down? I would ultimately have it all swapped out in less than a couple minutes so they all match, but I don't know if the switch will shut down and/or stop moving traffic until I power-cycle the switch or complete the swap. It's a core switch, so taking it down would be a severe pain in the butt.



No comments:

Post a Comment