Thursday, April 1, 2021

Proxy for protection

Hey, guys. I finally decided to build my first website. It's going to be a local online platform for buying and selling different everyday things. I want to set up a possibility for users to create their own profiles, upload pictures, ads, etc. I'd like to avoid problems with the website's security because any data breach will be a disaster. The problem is I'm not a very experienced person regarding internet security, so I need your help.

One of my friends said that it's important to set up a security system including proxy servers because it will significantly reduce the risks of being hacked. He failed to explain how exactly these proxy servers work for data protection, but I was able to find some basic info on tech websites. As I learned on Cloudflare here cloudflare.com/learning/cdn/glossary/reverse-proxy/, such proxies are often used as an SSL gateway. The platform could respond to external HTTP requests without fear of revealing the structure of its network. I understood that proxy in this case acts as a mediator between external users and internal network. I also learned that some companies use residential proxies like speedproxies.net for protecting their infrastructure. If potential attackers want to get particular information about the network, it would be impossible because the requests will be answered by servers from different countries and regions.

Well, I get it, but can such proxies really hide data from potential attackers? Don't get me wrong, but I have some concerns about it. I know that proxy servers can't be “unique” and are used by many people at the same time, and not always for good reasons. Is there a risk that my online platform will be blamed by search engines or even by authorities for using these proxies?



No comments:

Post a Comment