Saturday, April 24, 2021

Stay for experience or leave for fulltime?

So, I have a dilemma concerning jobs. I have a job now where I'm on contract (so no PTO, no benefits of any kind), long commute, don't have to deal with end users, but the coworkers are super cool, it's laid back, and I'm learning a lot of invaluable hands-on like configuring and putting equipment onto the network, working actual projects, in charge of some small ones, just really cool experience you don't get out of a book (my background is a couple of years NOC and afterwards a couple years mostly on transport, break n fix). In fact it helps to make sense of what I've learned from study and certification ( I just passed my CCNA and being able to actually get real life experience is pretty cool.) Issue is I have this other job that I could accept. About the same money, fulltime, benefits, PTO, about the same commute but they work remote right now, it does deal with end users (break n fix), they say I have plenty of opportunities in the company to move where I want (but we all know how that can go in reality at times), they are a somewhat national company and a really nice campus it appears in the pictures (for what it's worth). I feel like I should take the job to have a fulltime (legit) job, but then I also feel like I should stay where I'm at, at least a few months more while I finish a couple of more certs and continue getting this hands-on exp. because I feel it will valuable to me down the road in my career. Flip is, maybe I'll learn stuff too at the new job, it just won't be config, putting my hands on the equipment, kind of thing. What would you guys do? I'm not expecting anyone to decide for me, but it would be nice to have input to help me make a decision. I keep bouncing back and forth.



No comments:

Post a Comment