Friday, April 30, 2021

NXOS/ACI QSFP+ to 4x10Gb Breakout Port-numbering (in)consistency?

So recently I've been testing various optics on a 9336YC-FX2 (ACI 40/100Gb only switch) connection to a 40Gb blade on a 7706 and was trying to configure the ports into 4x10Gb breakout interfaces as I don't need so many dedicated 40GB cross-connects in-out of the ACI fabric.

My first test was with a WSP-Q40GLR4L, and this worked except for some reason port 1 of the 4 breakout 10Gb interfaces came online briefly then went down and remained permanently down without any real error log to hint at why. Otherwise, the port numbering matched one for one on both the ACI and NXOS sides-- and I just sort of assumed that would be the case.

Next I tried a QSFP-40G-SR-BD, and unlike the singlemode module, all 4 lanes came online. However the port numbering was now shifted. Instead of 1-1 ... 4-4, it was now 1-3, 2-4, 3-1, 4-2. I guess I just assumed that each of 1300nm lanes would just get assigned the same numbering after being converted to breakout interfaces, but I suppose that is not always the case. Is this normal behavior? Do I have some bad modules? Is there any way to manually change or assign the breakout interfaces? Both sets of QSFP+'s are genuine Cisco.



No comments:

Post a Comment