Wednesday, April 7, 2021

MSDP / PIM-SM questions

To start - multicast is a weak point for me. I've done a production MCast deployment before but it was local to a single DC and the RP was a 6880x, so it was easy.

Now I am trying to wrap my head around how to build a multicast network using MSDP to share between AnyCast RP sets across data centers - I just had a few questions that should help me understand a little better. My deployment is a collapsed-core vPC pair per data center acting as Anycast RP sets, with multiple L3 paths between DCs using EIGRP.

1). If I'm not using BGP at all, do I need to use it to peer via MSDP? I saw it gives you the option to specify remote-as when configuring peers.

2). Does each data center need a unique Anycast RP address, or will both data centers advertise the same /32s? I understand each member needs its own unique /32 to map the anycast /32 to, but must the anycasts /32s themselves be the same between DCs or should they be unique?

3). Can you peer MSDP over multiple hops, letting your IGP decide the path? Since there are multiple paths I'm curious if I need to implement MSDP across all hops on all those paths or if each RP set does direct peering using the grt as the underlay transport between peers



No comments:

Post a Comment