Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Link saturation without dropping pings?

We have a very simple network and have recently been getting complaints of Zoom video issues. Our 2gbps ISP link has been close to fully saturated (~1.7 / 1.8 gbps according to our in-line filter's statistics) during the time where users complain. Zoom has a handy statistics window that shows packet loss on the receive side for video of our user's connections. I've verified it does not happen off network. It's a little hard to try to packet capture because this is a combination of TCP 443 traffic and UDP 8801 traffic coming from the Zoom servers and I don't think I can do a packet capture that would show the loss because I don't have every UDP packet being captured at Zoom egress server link to compare for loss.

I tested outside of my firewall and web filter to rule all of that out and if I use our backup ISP, we don't see the issue (Our backup ISP is not being utilized right now for reasons outside of all of this so it's got a lot of available bandwidth). I talked to the ISP and they said they did not see any issues and the only thing they said was the link WAS saturated at points during the day and that UDP handles drops far worse than other traffic (duh). They've set some Zoom QOS to try and solve the problem but I will have to see how it goes tomorrow. My only issue with the theory is I've been running MTR and pings to public hosts all week and have not dropped a single packet to them.

Any thoughts on what this might be, if ICMPs should be lost if it was saturation, and what recommendations on troubleshooting strategies would be are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!



No comments:

Post a Comment