Friday, April 9, 2021

I don’t know what my actual job title is?

I know this sounds silly but I’m not sure what my actual job title was at my last job. We always just referred to each other as “techs” but that’s such a broad word! Every time someone asks what I do for a living I just tell them I install cameras since that was the bulk of my work, but in reality I had to do a lot more.

We installed a wide range of systems like access control or security systems, sound systems and anything av related, phone systems, and pretty much anything else related to IT/networking in any way. We did everything from start to finish, existing or new construction. That includes anything from foundation work like trenching and running pipe underground, to finish-work like building network racks, installing cameras, wireless access points, speakers, and mounting TVs, etc. Not to mention configuring every device to work properly on the same network, sniffing out ip conflicts, making sure all the software is set up and ready to use, etc.

Despite the wide range of responsibilities, it was a super relaxed job. If wasn’t on a big project I mostly sat around at the office doing nothing while waiting on either a repair ticket or a smaller new install ticket.

How do I simplify all this into a simple job title? I always see other company trucks out there that advertise the same stuff so I know this isn’t a unique job despite the wide range of work we do. Is it just as simple as calling myself a technician? I know this sounds kinda dumb but any insight is appreciated!



No comments:

Post a Comment