Friday, April 16, 2021

Fortigate with a netgear router

Hey all, So I have a firewall and a modem, and a router. I know it sounds simple, but how does one go about getting a SSID made that would communicate through a fortigate. I'm basically wanting to use this netgear router like an AP, but im lost on how I set up the routing for it since its not like a fortiAP and even where the SSID is made at - the firewall or the router? At the moment I have devices connected to the router, but since I have to ditch the NAT routing and have it sent to the fortigate im just a bit puzzled how the fortigate sends that traffic or receives it from the router. The configuration is something akin to Internet > ISP modem > Fortigate > Router on Ap or bridge mode, no clue which to use.. or specifically what the difference even is. In theory I want to connect devices to the router wirelessly and have individual devices wired directly to the fortigate. Any advice would be nice. What I tried initially was set the router as an AP, Wired directly to the fortigate Only problem is, I have no idea how they communicate. I have routing working and internet when its plugged in directly to the fortigate on the 1-5 ports for individual devices, but the wireless nature of the router is a bit of a mystery to me how I can avoid double NAT. I kinda just want to send the IPs of the devices connected to it sent to the fortigate. Assuming I would need a policy to route to that IP and then from out in, but any explanation here helps.



No comments:

Post a Comment