Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Selecting router for small business -- PA-220, Fortinet, Cisco ?

TL;DR: Small business looking to update router and switches. Need some recommendations (PA-220, Fortinet, whatever else) that don't require an expert to configure.

----

My work has somewhat basic networking needs with maybe 6 PCs running (no domain or anything fancy like that). There are a couple of access points for wireless devices, mostly for guests. And there is an analog CCTV setup using DVRs that are also on the network.

They've been running a Zyxel router for at least 10 years (maybe a USG-50 IIRC). There is no one in a dedicated position to oversee any of this, so it frequently falls to me. The last few times they've tried to do anything (add a new computer, switch out a malfunctioning AP), the Zyxel has been really causing real headaches.

I'm trying to push for a new router. I would also like to get a couple of 3750 switches as they would like to phase out the analog CCTV cameras in favor of PoE IP cameras.

I've been reading tons of posts on what to do going forward, but I am not positive of the best choice in equipment. I can usually get by with most things, even some command line stuff, but I am not interested in learning a whole programming language to have to configure a piece of equipment (e.g., Cisco). A few hours of config would probably be the most of what I would be looking for.

It seems that PA-220 and Fortinet 30 are some viable options, but I am trying to avoid complicated licensing issues. Typically, I would opt for used equipment to save cash.



No comments:

Post a Comment