Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Comcast limiting WANs to /29 or smaller

So I'm working on a client build and need additional static IPs. The client currently has a /29 WAN subnet and a /26 LAN subnet (comcast's words not mine). From the discussion with them the WAN subnet is the network between their equipment and ours. the LAN subnet is a block of public IPs that is routed to the first client usable IP in the WAN subnet. We asked them to swap the /29 and /26 as we needed more than 5 actual devices on the outside of the firewall. Their response was that they will only do a /29 or /30 for the WAN. Anyone else ever run into this? I know I've configured clients with /28 and larger WAN subnets but I can't recall off the top of my head if it was with Comcast. Their reasoning BTW was to save IPv4 addresses which makes no sense since we use the same number of IPs either way.



No comments:

Post a Comment