Friday, March 26, 2021

Replacing L3 Switches - Looking for general advice

Our current Cisco Catalyst 3750's lose support in October. So in the next few weeks, we'll be replacing them with Netgear M4300-24X's.

I'm a sysadmin but at this point in my career, I've been pretty light on the networking side, so I'm a little worried about the unknown-unknowns.

Taking a Cisco config and translating it to a Netgear config is one thing. But I'm also not sure about the best way to actually bring everything over to the new switches.

My boss wants to configure them to be an exact copy of the switches we're replacing and then move the cabling over. I'm thinking it may be easier to copy the config but use new VLANs so the new and old switches can coexist for a time and we can bring everything over slowly, once we confirm it's working.

Let me know what you think.



No comments:

Post a Comment