Friday, March 26, 2021

Has anyone switched over from Enterprise to Server Provider to do more "pure networking"? How has it worked out?

I have been on the networking team at a medium-sized enterprise for four years now. In that time I feel my routing and switching skills have diminished. My day-to-day mostly involves "network services" such as DNS, DHCP, F5, firewalls, URL filtering, etc.

My love for networking started when I earned my CCNA and CCNP R&S within about a year. In fact that is what earned me this first networking position I am in right now. But I feel like I touch or look at routing at my job maybe once per week (if that?). I can't help but feel that I've become more of a general system administrator than network engineer at this point, when you look at how I actually spend my day.

Has anyone felt this way and switched over to service provider or some other more routing-focused role? What was your experience like?



No comments:

Post a Comment