Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Help needed to start an Internet Exchange Point (IXP) in the second major city in the state...

So, I live in the second largest city in Colorado and I find that there are no IXPs here. I feel like it would be a huge help for the area to create an IXP to help out the people of the city and also the ISPs.

Where do I start (city govt or isps or?), what kind of equipment would I need (obviously would go full fiber, but what specifically), and how much would a start up cost look like (cost of equipment, building, and the necessary people to setup & run the facility)?

How would I go about raising money for this project?

Would it be better to do a non-profit or for-profit?

I have around 15 years of networking experience and can definitely provide help setting this up, but this feels like it might be a major undertaking for just one person!

Any help would be much appreciated, and I hope I can get the ball rolling on this project to help the people in my area.

If you would like to jump on board and help me out with this, once I get to a point that I know this can be done I would be more than happy to bring you on!

Thanks for your help and info!



No comments:

Post a Comment