Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Co-Location and Hypervisor Networking

Hi Guys,

I'm moving away from a VPS to a physical server which will be co-located at my local DC.

I intend to use Hyper-V core (the free one) and a couple of Win Server 2019' VM's, a Win 10 Pro VM to run Windows Admin Center from and perhaps the Hyper-V build of OpenVPN.

I'm really struggling to understand the concept of networking in this environment (perhaps I'm over-thinking it).

I'm going to be behind the CoLo's ASA, there is no NAT, and I've told I will be provided with 8 IP's (5 are usable, so I presume the unusable 3 will be network address, default gateway and subnet mask).

Out of the 5 usable IP's one will be for the iDrac which will be restricted by the ASA to my home static IP address to enable remote management of the physical server.

The web server VM will use one of the other IP's, it will host several web sites and the IIS native SMTP mail server to allow the websites to send emails.

The final IP that I will be using, will be for the OpenVPN VM.

I should add that these IP's are all public IP's. And I would like the VM's to be able to communicate with each other locally.

So the part(s) that I'm struggling to understand are: at the hypervisor level, 2 physical NIC's will be used, and I'm not entirely sure what IP's to assign at this level. Previously, I've been behind NAT and it was just a case of assigning a normal 192.168.1.x to these along with the default gateway, subnet mask and DNS.

Within the VM's I'd again assign another 192.168.1.x IP address to these virtual NIC's, then port forward from the ISP router/modem and everything would just work!

Not sure how to deal with this situation when all that I have to play with are 5 public IP's.

Thank you kindly!



No comments:

Post a Comment