Thursday, February 11, 2021

Wireshark and RTP stream timing question

I have noticed a discrepancy with Wireshark and how it renders audio to a .au file.

Say I have a RTP stream (sequence numbers 1,2,3,4,5) , which drops 5 packets (6,7,8,9,10)..... naturally you would assume just 100ms of audio is lost ( 5 x 20ms).

The next packet (sequence number 11) then arrives with a delta time of 200ms.

This delta time, this is the time difference between packet 11 and 5.... which indicates 100ms of lost audio, and 100ms network delay, am I correct with this?

If I am, is there a way to export this total delay to the audio file, so I will see the 200ms of delay, or is it just how Wireshark works, where it will export audio as just a sequence of packets, regardless of other delay timings introduced (so I will only see the 100ms gap in audio when exported)



No comments:

Post a Comment