Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Lumen fiber ring question

Hey all,

The weather is historically bad in Dallas (or at least bad for us) which has caused rolling blackouts and extended power outages across the state. Lumen claims a fiber ring in Irving has been without power since this past early Monday morning when this all started. This is actually the second time in less than 6 months that this same fiber ring has had an extended power outage. The other time was for a blown transformer or something of that nature. My question is, do they not run these on some type of generator? They claim there is a battery backup, but once that is out it goes down. You would think something this service impacting would have some type of generator. I mean we are a simple company, but even we have a generator that can run our building indefinitely as long as we have diesel fuel. I get that we are nowhere near the level of Lumen’s size. I’m wondering for those of you that have worked for a carrier if this is standard? Maybe I just don’t understand how these are designed as I’ve never worked for a carrier.



No comments:

Post a Comment