Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Skills/knowledge network engineers should have

Hey guys, I tried searching but couldn’t find anything matching what I was looking for.

I’m starting a new job in March 2021, it’s an internal transfer to the senior network engineering team for the ISP I work for.

I’m vendor qualified in our hardware (Extreme Networks, Juniper JNCIS and Fortinet NSE7). I have about 3 years experience working daily on these vendor devices so not brain dump certs.

I’ve got a pretty decent knowledge of routing(mainly BGP, ISIS and MPLS), my switching and layer2 knowledge isn’t bad, but not too great either and firewalls I’m very comfortable with.

What should I look at learning to carry on growing within the field? I want to be able to hit the ground running without having to ask too many noob questions. I’ve been considering devops and automation (ie Python and Ansible) and the rest of the Juniper SP certs are required for my position.

I won’t really be dealing with cloud solutions as we have dedicated teams for cloud, voice and data.

Thanks in advance.



No comments:

Post a Comment