Wednesday, December 16, 2020

How do I manually determine if Fiber Readings are within spec for SFPs?

Hello Networking,

I'm new to networking so I apologize if this is a rudimentary question but I haven't taken any fiber schooling. I just passed my CCNA a few months ago and was hired for an entry level NOC position. Recently, I was tasked with installing a redundant MPLS-TP system for a customer and the devices will be running on fiber (10Gb Base-LR and 1000 Base-LX).

Unfortunately, this is my first time speccing out backhaul fiber (mainly deal with short range fiber links) and I feel a bit dumb in this aspect.

Do you have any references on how I can determine if the fiber loss on the backhaul link is within spec of fiber sfp threshold? For example:

The 10Gb SFP specs are: Minimum Output Power: -8.2dBm Maximum Output Power: 0.5 dBm Receiver Sensitivity: -12.6 dBm Reciever Overload: 0.5dBm

If, say, the backhaul link readings are: 1310: 13.26dB / 27.1dBm and 1510: 13.29dB / 27.18dBm

How do I determine if these readings along with my fiber sfp specs are within threshold?

I'm used to just checking the threshold specs on the Juniper or Cisco devices to see if the fiber is within spec but the device I've provisioned doesn't have this feature and so I will need to do this manually.

I appreciate any help or references you can provide.

Thanks again.



No comments:

Post a Comment