Sunday, December 20, 2020

Networking job feels more like Security Engineer job

When I was 21 I got into networking because I was fascinated how data can travel the world across the internet in just milliseconds. Got my CCNA, CCNP, and have been in multiple network engineer positions.

Fast forward 15 years in the future, right now in 2020 I work as an allround network engineer for a small organization (around 1300 staff), but I feel like I’m actually a security engineer. Sure, I manage routers, switches and wireless LAN controllers, but 90% of my time I’m busy with security related tasks. Updating vulnerable network (management) operating systems, tightening firewall policy’s, organizing pen tests, explaining to management if we’re vulnerable to new threats that the media reports about, and so on. Because I’m responsible for the firewall, I sometimes lie awake at night wondering if I didn’t accidentally misconfigured something that leaves on of our systems vulnerable.

I just realized that I never asked for any of these security related tasks. They just get handed to the network engineer, because the network is what hackers use gain access to an IT infrastructure. I’m not sure I like the way my job has evolved the past decade to be honest.

How have you seen job change over the last couple of years?



No comments:

Post a Comment