Thursday, November 19, 2020

New jobs during COVID

Curious to know how other people’s experiences have been starting new jobs in the era of COVID and most places going fully WFH. I made the jump from government work to contacting right in the middle of the year and now I’m on my second gig. The first company was fine, decent onboard process, shadowing a couple engineers for a week or two, getting initial work was slow pretty slow but I’m not sure it would have been different in any other F500 company, COVID or not. That company ended up doing some massive layoffs and my contract was on the line so I ended up needing to find another role. The place I’m at now, their onboarding is abysmal. Coworkers are super unhelpful and are hesitant to help, my manager is one of those senior engineers that went into management but couldn’t leave the engineer behind and does everything himself “because it’s easier”, most documentation is pre 2010, everything has a “process” but they only exist in people’s heads, the list goes on. Best part is they explicitly wanted someone with MPLS and BGP exp but all there having me do is onesie, twosie, ACL modifications. Needless to say, I’m already looking for a new role 3 weeks in. Anyone else start a new gig recently? How was your onboarding? If your WFH hows your company doing on that front?



No comments:

Post a Comment