Thursday, November 19, 2020

Confused about outdoor "protector packs" at building demarcation

I manage a small network for an HOA. 34 condos across 8 buildings, sharing a Comcast business line over cat5e. Three of our buildings are seeing very slow speeds and unstable connections. Basic cable tests are coming back good. iperf is showing between 1/2-1/4 the speeds they should be getting. Since the problems started I replaced one building's un-managed switch with a new one and replaced the core switch. That made no difference. I'm doing my best to troubleshoot while I try and find a local company that I can bring in, which is turning out to be difficult.

One thing I'm wondering is if the outdoor protector packs where the underground run connects to the building's line could have issues, maybe with old or blown fuses? I know next to nothing about these things. They were installed during initial construction in 2003. They are Porta 1504 PX2. Looks like Porta got bought by Tii Technologies in 2010. Here's a picture.

Questions:

  1. Could a problem with these protector packs cause slow speeds and unstable connections?
  2. If so, should I try to find replacement fuses for the existing packs?
  3. If not, any recommendations on what to try replacing them with?


No comments:

Post a Comment