Saturday, November 7, 2020

Need some help finishing this network

Hey all,

I am the IT dude for a midwest USA fire department, Our station is badly in need of a good qualiy wifi that covers the entire station and doesn't drop out all the time. When I took over as IT it became one of my goals to work on and I think I am about done however, I am good enough with computers to get in trouble but I'm no network engineer. Our department is completely volunteer, but we are rather busy as volly depts go. We have a cadre of officers who regularly work from the station and a program where college kids live at the station as residents and respond to calls but also do lots of school (especially now with COVID) at the station and require a functional internet connection.

I started digging into the network and found some issues from what I have found are causing most of the problems.

  1. The distance from the modem to the main comm room with the main router is well over 200 ft in Cat5E and runs through the bays where all the trucks and radios are (lots of interference)
  2. Access points are a linksys velop system, we have 6 APs strung around the building. They are decent but can't handle the number of devices (easily 50+) on the network at one time.
  3. The network controller is simply the velop base station... It isn't enough to run the station during larger events. (we often host classes and large events that could add an extra 50 devices to the network for the duration)

I have a few solutions to the problems listed above

I recently discovered that when the station was built a fiber line was installed from west room to the central comm room. I've had a local tech company terminate and install sfp ends on it. I want to get a unify Dream Machine Pro installed in the west room then, use the fiber line to the comm room where I will put a 48 port ubiquity switch. I am familer with Ubiquity, I use their stuff in my own home but it is obviously a lot less complecated.

In conjuction with using Ubiquity system, I plan on getting 6-7 APs to spread across the bays (2) , the office areas (3), and the dorms\dayroom (1-2).

My questions are,

I know very little about fiber and working with it. Lots of youtube is helping that. the lines have been terminated to this connector, photo link. what modual do I need to place in between these and the ubiquity appliances?

I can't make up my mind about the exact access points I will be using, finances are a concern but i have been given the green light to just get it working. I am going between a combination of Flex HDs, AP AC LRs, and AC Mesh APs. I have the plans in the ubiquity design center. if there is someone who would be willing to look at them I can share screen shots.

For the time being, I want to get the appliances in, we will continue to use the Velop system for wifi and near the beginning of the year (Government budgets...) I will be green lighted again to upgrade all the station AP's



No comments:

Post a Comment