Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Link Aggregation between two Switches

Hello, I'm new to networking so bare with me.

I have two switches, one with four hosts and one with two hosts. I want to transmit an immense amount of data between the two switches. (FAR more than any home network hence this subreddit). I don't need speed, but I need bandwidth and that's where link aggregation comes in (I think). I want to bond together 3 ports on each switch and connect them together with three ethernet cables.

Is it fine to create a LAG/bond/team on each switch and connect them together without the hosts being aware? Does LACP require the hosts have bonds/teams/LAGs to communicate with the LAGs on the switches?

Are there any common pit falls with this? Do I have to be aware of any ARP/IP layer issues?

As long as the frames get to the link, it they should be routed properly to the hosts, correct? Is it safe to bridge the LAG to the network so that the hosts can perform DHCP?

I appreciate any help you can give me, this is the documentation for my switches https://github.com/Mellanox/mlxsw/wiki



No comments:

Post a Comment