Saturday, November 21, 2020

job pivot for senior citizen network engineer - niche consulting

I'm 50 and have worked at an ISP job for the last 10 years. I did a mix of enterprise work prior. I have an active r/S IE. I have my retirement taken care of so am looking to get into work that looks interesting and I'd love to get into consulting work on short-term jobs with a high pay. Travel isn't a problem.

Throughout the years I would meet people that were consultants working on specialty jobs. For example, I ran into some people setting up Arcsight over in Europe who told me they were making 300 /hr 1099 about a decade back.

How does a person get into that sort of work? I imagine the skills required will be new bleeding edge tech so that will be consistently changing.

Is it realistic that the 1099 contractor is actually paid these rates? I've never worked as a consultant and most of the contract jobs I see listed on Indeed/LInkedin are puny, 50-70 per hour jobs asking for a CCIE on for staff augmentation jobs. Crappy pay and no benefits, and often far less than I could ask for in a full-time job.

Are the firms that source engineers to do this work specialty outfits? If so, can someone point to examples? I figure there's a blog or person out there telling every story imaginable today but I've never seen a blog/story of how someone progressed from W2 wage earner to a consultant who can command 2-4k a day or a high hourly rate on short-term gigs.

I know some (if not all?) of this work comes through large integrator deals where the customer needs work done that the VAR doesn't do. I imagine this gets passed off to other firms or individuals with those skills.

I would be happy to get into work like this even if I had down time. I'd rather earn 300 an hour or a high day rate and build labs/research and study for the rest of the year without an income. How did you folks out there get started?



No comments:

Post a Comment