Friday, October 30, 2020

Using 44.0/9 (AMPRNet) as private network space.

Disclaimer, I'm not the network guy, I'm the linux guy getting frustrated.

My company has done a ton of acquisitions over the years and because of some choices made up the food chain those companies come into our WAN without being readdressed.

Our WAN routing space has stuff all over 10.0.0.0, but also has things in 172.16 and 192.168.

When we went into the cloud we had issues allocating large enough blocks as the network team were unwilling to give me enough in fear that a future acquisition would clash.

Working with AWS we followed their recommendation and dedicated the entire 100.64 space from cgNAT to cloud only.

I've got a project I'd classify as "devprod" in that it's a dev environment that when it has outages causes headaches as if it were prod. It needs some network space across at minimum a handful of /24.

I've "lost" to the network team several times and had to readdress because management determined it was better to have me address my stuff than to try and readdress an entire business unit during the onboarding process. I've gone from 10.10/16 to 10.11/16 to 10.21/16 and now am about to booted again, with no guarantee it won't happen again in the future.

You can argue all you want that this is unreasonable and I should be given some leeway, I certainly have, but this is my reality.

Is there any reason that I couldn't use the 44.0.0.0/9 allocated to AMPRnet for packet/ham radio? It would be internal and run just as if it were an RFC1918 network. I can't imagine that any host on our WAN would ever want to connect to packet radio.

I can't see a downside to this but again, I'm a linux sysadmin, not a network guy. Is there anything I need to consider here?



No comments:

Post a Comment