Saturday, October 31, 2020

Ubiquiti AP- Unifi vs Airmax interesting stats

Good Evening,

I know there's a Ubiquiti page...but I figured this gave us a slightly larger forum discussion. So here:

I find it very interesting and helpful that Unifi has their design page for rough, theoretical AP signal radiation circles. However, trying to design a deployment that's going to possibly use 80 wifi APs, and working off a very very limited budget that I'm already over, I had an interesting idea.

My most important aspect in the design is range. I don't need any users getting any serious speed (10mb/s is plenty), but I need to hit a lot of clients. Rocket M5 radios are cheap right now...like $20 a radio. Look at these stats, and then maybe people can weigh in how far these are realistically going to shoot. I'm only comparing 5Ghz bands so I get apples for apples here.

  1. Unifi Mesh AP Pro $199

8dBi antenna with 22dBm transmission power

  1. Airmax Aircube AC $75 (but stock is hard right now)

5dBi antenna with 23dBm transmission power

  1. Airmax Rocket M5 Radio $20 plus omni directional antenna

27dBm (omni can't handle that, but still) with 10-13dBi antenna

What makes the Unifi all that much better? Range is most important to me here...although obviously cell phones and laptops only fire so far.

Wouldn't the unifi and aircube be pretty close in range here?

The Rocket should have the largest range by far albeit a speed cap because of the 100mb/s port, agreed?

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment