Friday, October 30, 2020

Recommendation for switch replacement

Hi, I currently have a stack of 6 Avaya/Nortel 5520-48T-PWR switches.

Have loved them due to the stacking feature, and the WebUI.

The switches being the age they are, are starting to give me troubles, with failing POE boards and other small issues. I know I can still get them from eBay for around AU$150 etc but am now looking at upgrading.

The above switches really don't have much of an upgrade path (that's affordable) as only the 5500 and 5600 switches can stack together, and the 5600 series only has 10Gb in XFP x 2. Anything up from that is a no go.

So, I am now starting the search for the next replacements.

I am wanting something similar to the Avaya Switches, but something where I can pay a little more and get 1 of the switches in the stack to have 10GBase-T. EOL is ok obviously. For what these are used for the Avaya/Nortel switches have been awesome (although a little noisy, but are in a separate room).

Have been looking at Juniper, but not sure about the specific models etc. One I did find was the EX4300 series, but they seem a little expensive still, I don't think they are EOL yet, so not a huge amount being dumped in the second-hand market.

Basically, a switch that is stackable, has 48 Port with PoE, a WebUI, and at least a model with 10GBase-T that can be stacked with 1Gb Switches.

Any help/recommendations etc would be much appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment