Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Colocation help

Looking at getting a cabinet from HE in Fremont.

I'm experienced with Linux and some networking stuff (I guess it would be considered SMB networking) and I understand the concepts of VLANs, subnets, etc.

Unfortunately, I think the network design here will be a little bit too complicated for me. I have a /24 block and an ASN. Do I need a router in the rack to do BGP or something? Will I have to learn Cisco equipment in and out, or is there anything less intimidating for my purposes? (I'm good with EdgeRouter but those are somewhat outdated nowadays and also, not good with BGP from what I hear ((Edit: Mikrotik CRS326-24G-2S+RM ?))) The servers in the rack will be a new Openstack cluster with Nova instances getting dedicated IP addresses. Ideally MAAS in the rack as well. Which only makes the network setup more complicated.

I'm thinking I'm probably in too deep for my level of knowledge...



No comments:

Post a Comment