Tuesday, September 29, 2020

vlan/dhcp issue

I am having an issue with a vlan getting ip addresses (sometimes). Here is the situation:

Unifi gen 2 controller

6 x Unifi 48 port switch.

Windows DC w/DHCP, DNS

Cisco ASA

There are 7 networks setup through the unifi controller.

Lets say we have:

.10.x setup as a LAN network, using vlan 10.

.50.x setup as a LAN network, using vlan 50.

.101.x setup as a LAN network, using vlan 101.

.2.x setup as a LAN network, using vlan 2.

.100.x setup as a LAN network, using vlan 100.

.1.x setup as a LAN network, not a vlan.

we have a trunk setup as vlan only, as vlan 12.

Everything works, sometimes. Every once in a while, like once every other day or so, I get a problem from a computer on vlan 2. The computers network will just cycle as being not connected, to connected, over and over, very quickly. it will usually get an error about a duplicate ip address too. If they wait long enough, it just fixes itself, usually after an hour or so. It is not happening from a specific switch. If I change a port on a switch in the basement to vlan 2, it has had the same problem as a computer plugged into one of the other switches with a port on vlan 2. If I change the port to vlan all, it gets a .1.x address just fine. If I switch it back, its a coin flip on if it will still have the network cycling problem.

In the controller, the computer will show an ip address, and it will show the same ip address in dhcp, but sometimes (not always), it will show a different ip address in dns. On the actual computer when I check, it shows no ip address like it is not plugged in at all.

We are a 24 hour shop, so its not possible to just take down the network and go piece by piece.

Anyone have any ideas on what I could do to figure this out? I am not familiar with using wireshark but I was thinking I could run that somewhere to see where the traffic is stopping maybe?



No comments:

Post a Comment