Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Can 10GBase-T travel 100 meters?

We have a NAS that I'm attempting to locate in another building. We're using a Cisco SG350XG switch on one end and an Intel X540T1 on the other. I'm attempting to connect them with 300ft Cat 7 Ethernet. Before running the cable through the buildings I figured I would bench test everything. After plugging the things in, it auto negotiates to 1G instead of 10G. I grabbed a shorter cable, 8ft, it negotiates to 10g. The 300ft cable is still coiled, I rolled a couple feet of one end for bench testing. I got the specs off the Intel X540T1, the max reach is 300ft but I can't find the max reach on the switch. It just says 802.3an, which I'm taking as meeting the 100meter spec for ethernet. Also, I've turned off Short Reach & Energy Efficient Ethernet in the Cisco switch. Is this actually going to work, or are we going to need to install a fiber run?



No comments:

Post a Comment