Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Using a network bridge to connect to a Pi Server

I work for a company that produces a Raspberry Pi (embedded) product. The way that you interact with it is through WiFi (the Pi is set to master mode). Normally, you can SSH into the Pi and go to the default gateway through a browser on the PC connected to it, and it will serve you a Web Based IDE that we use for the product. Essentially it's configured as an Access Point web-server.

I'm trying to setup a network bridge such that we could access the Pi like normal, but allow the Pi to use the other network source (Ethernet in my test case) to access the internet.

I changed the IPV4 property of the network bridge and I set the information to match the IPV4 information on the Ethernet connection (default gateway, iv4 address, subnet mask, and DNS address). This allowed me to still access the internet on the bridge machine, but the Pi can't even ping google. This also stopped me from being able to access the Pi's server and SSH.

I also tried setting the IPV4 settings to match the Pi "server" by taking the information from ipconfig, but that just makes everything stop working (as I'd expect).

Then I tried using the advanced settings to add two DNS sources and two IPV4 addresses (with their proper subnets and everything). This also ends up breaking everything, even when I try different priorities.

Am I trying to do something that is impossible or am I just doing it wrong? Am I even asking the right questions?

Note: I am using the Windows machine but if necessary I can switch to the Linux machine (I am more familiar with Linux anyway).

Thanks in Advance



No comments:

Post a Comment