Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Cisco Commands that I wish I learned earlier ...

I started as a Network Admin back in 2002. Along the way, I've picked up a few commands that were not part of CCNA training... but have been pretty useful. I'm sure there are others. Please share if you have something that is not part of a normal CCNA /CCNP training... but makes your life easier anyway.

  • Config terminal revert timer 20 - Make changes to to the config, but revert back in 20 minutes if I do not confirm. I use this so I don't lock myself out of a switch form time to time....
  • show ip device tracker or show device-tracker - I will use this on an access switch to find the IP address of the device that is connected to a port.
  • test cable-diagnostics tdr interface .... - Use to do simple cable diagnostics i.e. length of cable pairs. Are the open or shorted.
  • alias exec hardening version 8.2 - 09SEP2020 - I will use this as a way to making notes in the running config. This would tell me that I applied a hardening script to the device, version 8.2, that was created on 09SEP2020. This gives us an idea of what the enable password might be on a switch that has been offline for a while. I'll also have Solarwinds flag switches that don't have the latest verision in the alias exec note...
  • define interface-range

define interface-range trunking gig 1/1/1

define interface-range users gig 1/0/1 - 24

I will use the define interface-range in the active switch config so that I can make scripts for trunking ports and users ports and apply it to different switch models. Some models are 24 port. Some are 48. Some have trunking on TenGig ports. Some have it on Gig ports.

When apply a script...

config t

interface range macro trunking

(all the commands I want to apply to trunking ports)

interface range macro users

(all the commands I want to apply to user ports)

end



No comments:

Post a Comment