Saturday, September 26, 2020

Network upgrade time! What should I do? What would you do?

Hey folks,

I recently upgraded to 1gbps up and 1gbps down and my r7000 is having issues handling the amount of traffic I'm putting through it. Only about 1/3 of the bandwidth can be utilized and it's not a wiring issue and probably not a software issue.

I've been looking at upgrading to a big boy network and now seems like the best time to do so.

Currently the network is as follows:

vlan 1: internet

vlan 2: business network. (2 servers, 1 nas (possibly adding a flash storage nas in the next year), work laptop, work PC

vlan 3: home network. (phones, laptops, tablets)

vlan 4: IOT

vlan 5: guest.

I'm more so worried about the business end of the network and having 10gbps internally between the main PC, Servers and Nas.

My initial thinking was to get a pfsense box and a mikrotik switch and use the r7000 as an AP. This would allow me to get a switch with layer 2/3 features and enough SFP+ and RJ45 to likely handle everything.

Now I'm kind of leaning towards ubiquiti. The dream machine pro looks like a shockingly good product for it's price range, the AP setup seems simple and I could get the 16 port aggregation switch for high bandwidth connections to my PC/build/machine learning servers.

Budget should ideally come in under 3000 Canadian Ruples or $2250 USD.

I guess I'm just looking for verification in my plan and to see if it makes sense. I might hold off on the aggregation switch as I have a 4x SFP+ mikrotik switch to keep the costs down.

I also think I might be torn as I like the idea of using pfsense since it's open source and I like my current mikrotik switch but ubiquiti is just looking nice and easy and comes with the software.



No comments:

Post a Comment